The Book: The Very Sleepy Bear
Who’s It By?
Nick Bland – author of The Very Cranky Bear, The Very Brave Bear, (I’m sensing a theme) and King Pig
What’s It About?
A bear just wants to hibernate but a fox sees an opportunity and tries to sell him some new real estate
Why Should You Read It?
One thing I love about Nick Bland is his books are made for silly voices. My fox is a classic Cockney thief, and it always makes my son giggle. And there is nothing in the world sweeter than a toddler giggle. Despite all the giggling this book entails, it’s also quite excellent for bedtime as the titular Bear spends a great deal of the book yawning his way through the lines. And we all know how infectious they are!
The Play: Bear Toast
What You Need
- Bread (natch)
- Bear Coloured Spread – Nutella, Peanut Butter or Vegemite (for a black bear)
What You Do
- Toast your bread
- Spread spread on bread (hah! poetry my friends).
- Cut small slices of banana and pop in each corner (for ears) and the centre (for nose)
- Add sultanas for eyes, and one in the centre of the nose as well
- Enjoy your book themed snack!